5 Gallon Party Gumbo
This recipe will serve everyone at your next winter time party. Split ingredients between pots to achieve total volume if a single large pot is not available. It can be prepared a day or two ahead of time and can be frozen.
- ½ cup Butter
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- 1 gal coarse chopped onion
- ½ gal coarse chopped green bell pepper
- ½ gal coarse chopped celery
- 1 cup garlic paste or minced garlic
Heat olive oil and butter, then add trinity and simmer until translucent. Add garlic and simmer until aromatic
- 2 gal Chicken stock
- 3 to 4 cups of dark roux
- ½ gal Shrimp stock or Clam Juice (optional)
- 1 # 10 can chopped Tomatoes
- 6 lbs chopped Okra (frozen or fresh)
- 16 bay leaves
- 4 tbs. Thyme
- 2 tbs. ground Mustard
- 4 tbs. Marjoram
- 2 tbs. ground Black Pepper
- ½ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup Louisiana hot sauce
- 6 tbs. Gumbo File add 2 tbs. at a time
- 2 tbs. liquid smoke (add near end of cooking time)
Once all ingredients are added, slowly bring to a boil.
Then add your choice of mixed meat/seafood:
- 10 lbs chopped Chicken
- 2 lbs smoked Sausage
- 3 lbs Andouille Sausage
- 2 lbs Shrimp (peeled and deveined)
Slowly simmer for 3 to 4 hours.
Serve over rice with crusty French bread and garnish with chopped scallions.